Its been a while since the sad news of MCAs passing and pretty much all that can be said has been via twitter, blogs and various tributes. But this band have been a constant in my life since I was 13 so I cannot have the memory of Adam Yauch go un-acknowledged in my personal journal.
My self-indulgent Beastie Boys landmark memories:
• Receiving 3 cassette copies of Licensed to Ill for my thirteenth birthday
• Pouring over the Sly Stone homage back sleeve of Check Your Head
• Seeing the Gratitude video on late night TV for the first time
• Discovering Pauls Boutique 3 years after its original release and having my mind blown
• My cherished green vinyl 7″ of ‘Get it Together/Sabotage’
• Watching them play Glastonbury 1994, soaking wet and full of acid (me, not the B’boys that is)
• Missing home whilst living in Sydney, buying their greatest hits and feeling instantly better.
• ‘Check Check Check it Out’ being a guaranteed floor filler at the club night I used to run.
Bless you MCA, I among millions of others will miss you.